The first local government in Mountain View
Proir to becoming a province the territoiral government of Alberta created Local Improvement Districts, small administrative areas of three to six townships used to administer local areas. These districts remained in use until 1912, when the province re-organized rural municipalities. Following a plebiscite, the Rural Municipality of Mountain View No. 310 was created out of four improvement districts around Olds and Didsbury on Dec. 9, 1912.
Notice - Organization of the Rural Municipality of Mountain View No. 310
Local Improvement Districts in 1912 (PDF file-120 KB)
Rural Municipalities in 1918 (PDF file -168 KB)
Municipal District of Mountain View
On December 6, 1943, a number of municipal districts ncluding the the Rural Municipality of Mountain View were merged to create the Municipal District of Dog Pound No. 280. On March 31, 1944, the name of the Municipal District of Dog Pound No. 280 was changed to the Municipal District of Mountain View No. 280. On April 14, 1945, the Municipal District of Mountain View No. 280 was renumbered as the Municipal District of Mountain View No. 49.
Ministerial Order- Erection of the Municipal District of Dog Pound No, 280
Ministerial Order - Changing the name of the M.D.of Dog Pound #280 to M.D. of Mountain View #280
Becoming a County
The County Act was proclaimed on July 1, 1950. The county system combined all local governments (municipal councils, school boards and under special circumstances, hospital administration) into a single authority for all local purposes, whereas they were separate before. The first two counties in Alberta were Grande Prairie (No.1) and Vulcan (No.2) which were created on January 1, 1951.
The Alberta County System
An Alberta government publication from 1959 providing information about the County System. Click here to download (PDF file - 2.6 MB )
The County System
A report of a joint meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Olds School Division No. 31 and theCouncil of the M.D. of Mountain View No. 49 held on Saturday, September 19th, 1959. The meeting was also attended by Alberta's Minister of Education and Deputy Minister of Municipal Affairs at the time. Reprinted from the Olds Gazette of Sept. 24. 1959. Click here to download (PDF file - 1.3 MB )
The County of Mountain View No. 17
On January 1, 1961, the Municipal District of Mountain View No. 49 was formed into the County of Mountain View No. 17.
Order in Council 1907/60 The County Act - Incorporation of a County (PDF file - 287 KB)
Correspondence regarding first statutory meeting of County Council (PDF file - 149 KB)
The Business of Council
Audited Financial Statements (1967 / 1968)
June 1969 Public Notice - Addition/ Renovation of Didsbury Jr./ Sr. High School (PDF file - 306KB)
The County Crest
Correspondence between Reeve William Bagnall and the Government of Alberta House in London regarding a proposed crest for the County. Letter includes sketches of proposed crests. (Click to download - PDF 574 KB)
Bylaw No. 579 - Providing for adoption of an official County crest dated May 27, 1970. Includes sketch of approved crest. (PDF -277 KB)
Approval by the Lieutenant-Governor of Alberta, Grant MacEwan, dated June 17, 1970. Also signed by Premier Harry Strom. (PDF - 264 KB)
Mountain View County
On January 21, 1998, an Order in Council was approved changing the name of the municipality from the County of Mountain View No. 17 to Mountain View County.
Correspondence from Minister Iris Evans to Reeve Pat James, including Order in Council. (PDF - 132 KB)