Surface water, shorelines, riparian areas and upland drainage areas provide an important role.
They assist with absorption, collection and storing of water to reduce flooding, recharge groundwater, and supply water for household & livestock consumption.
They also assist with filtering out sediment, excess nutrients, and remove chemical residues. Approvals may be required to redirect surface water, either into a dugout or draining a field.
- MVC Brochure - Surface Water and Dugouts
- The Water Act: Dugouts Factsheet
- The Water Act: Approvals Factsheet
- Drilling Water Wells: Factsheet
- Temporary Water Diversions
- Spring Runoff Flood Prevention
- The Water Act Essentials Documents
- Water Quality Considerations for Surface and Subsurface Agricultural Drainage
- Alberta Wetland Policy Implementation Fact Sheet Alberta