Fire Permits & Regulations

Please note, that area located within the Forest Protection Area is regulated by the Province of Alberta. Details on their bans and restrictions can be found at:

Wildfire Preparedness Guides:

The Steps to Take for Controlled Burns in Mountain View County:

1. Fire Permit

The online fire permitting system is open year round 

QUESTIONS? Please call 403-335-3311.

To view the MVC Fire Bylaw for further details see: MVC Fire Bylaw 10/22

Note: If conditions also dictate, the County (or the Province) may institute a fire restriction or fire ban at any time of the year. Under these circumstances all burns must be extinguished and new burns are not permitted.

2. Conducting Your Burn

Mountain View County residents outside of the Forest Protection Area are able to conduct their burn if all conditions for conducting a safe burn per the MVC Fire Bylaw 10/22 have been met.

Local Fire Department Contact Information

Cremona/Water Valley403-870-4223

3. Determine if you live in the Forest Protection Area

The Alberta Forest Protection Area includes two portions of Mountain View County:

NOTE: Mountain View County cannot issue fire permits for these areas and cannot institute fire restrictions or bans in these areas. The full responsibility for these regulations is with the Province of Alberta.

4. Determine if it is Safe to Burn

During certain times of the year, due to dry and/or windy conditions, fire restrictions or fire bans may be implemented for Mountain View County and the surrounding communities and municipalities.

During full fire bans, fires within the County are banned until further notice, and all existing fires must be extinguished.

Exceptions are made for fires which are contained in cooking and heating appliances fueled by fluids, gasses, briquettes or pellets. During a partial ban, contained campfires with a screen and burning barrels are generally exempted along with the above outdoor cooking appliances.

During a partial or full fire ban, any fire permits that have been previously issued by the County will be void. New fire permits will not be issued until the ban is lifted.

Information on fire bans will appear on our website, on our social media accounts, or can be viewed at the Alberta Fire Bans website.

Denise RiceMountain View County Staff403-335-3311 ext.  204
Kevin HeeremaMountain View County Patrol403-335-3311 ext. 162

4. Determine what is Permissible to Burn

Below is a graphic which outlines what is burnable or prohibited from burning. For more information on this, please refer to our Fire Bylaw, located at Mountain View County - Bylaws 

  • Info! Required Fields *

    • I will only be burning burnable debris *
    • I have obtained permission from the Registered Land Owner. *
    • Is the property less than 10 acres? *
    • If property is less than 10 acres, have all adjacent landowners been notified? *
    • I will take sufficient precautions to ensure that the fire will be kept under control at all times. (Forest and Prairie Protection Act, RSA 2000, Chapter F-19 2003, Section 22) *
    • The fire will be attended at all times *
    • I accept responsibility for ensuring weather conditions are appropriate for conducting the burn *
    • I acknowledge Fire Permits are regulated by the Alberta Forest and Prairie Protection Act and Mountain View County Fire Bylaw 10/22 and agree to adhere to all provisions of the applicable legislation *
    • I have read and accept all of the above conditions *