New Location for Ag Wire Recycling
Starting Jan. 1, 2018, Terra Metals - in conjunction with the Mountain View County Agricultural Service Board - will be collecting barbed, strand, and page wire to be recycled at no cost to Mountain View County producers.
- When - From 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays
- Where - Terra Metals is located along Township Road 322 (Amerada Rd), west of Highway 2A, just past the gas plant entrance and before RR 20 intersection.
- Website - http://terrametalsrecycling.com
- Wire must be free of debris (dirt, sod, posts)
- All recyclable wire must be rolled as tightly as possible
- Load wire separate fom other metals
*** The rebate program with the Mountain View Regional Waste Management Commission at the Didsbury Landfill is no longer in effect. Producers will be charged for dropping off their wire at the landfill.
For more information contact Terra Metals at 403-415-5097, or Lorelee Grattidge at Mountain View County, 403-335-3311 ext 163.
Farm Plastic Recycling
***THE PROGRAM IS CLOSED FOR THE SEASON***
The Farm Plastic Round-Up Program is under review. The changes being considered are to only collect plastics that can be recycled and reallocating the monetary incentive to offset processing costs or equipment.
Please expect changes to the program in the future as we continue investigating options.
What the program has achieved:
- 2007 - 19,610 kgs farm plastic recycled
- 2008 - 18,950 kgs farm plastic recycled
- 2009 - 19,265 kgs farm plastic recycled
- 2010 - 23,830 kgs farm plastic recycled
- 2011 - 19,110 kgs farm plastic recycled
- 2012 - 28,290 kgs farm plastic recycled
- 2013 - 20,150 kgs farm plastic recycled
- 2014 - 55,250 kgs farm plastic recycled
- 2015 - 44,680 kgs farm plastic recycled
- 2016 - 23,940 kgs farm plastic recycled
- 2017 - 18,615 kgs farm plastic recycled
- 2018 - 11,235 kgs farm plastic recycled
ALL agricultural waste plastic being recycled MUST be FREE of mud, metal, straw, hay, manure, wood, rocks and any other debris.
ACCEPTED plastic in 3’X3’ bundles, secured and able to handle:
- Hay tarps
- Silage tarps
- Grain bags
ACCEPTED plastic in clear plastic bags with no foreign material and tied off:
- Twine - bagged separately
Plastics NOT ACCEPTED under this program:
Questions regarding this program can be directed to MVC Agricultural Services at 403-335-3311.
Empty Pesticide and Fertilizer Container Recycling
Mountain View County has a recycling site for empty plastic pesticide chemical and fertilizer containers under 23 Litres in size. The site is located 0.5 miles west of Highway 2A on the Bergen Road (Twp Rd 320). Any County resident looking to recycle their plastic chemical containers, can drop them off inside the structure at the recycling site, free of charge.
Before recycling the plastic chemical containers, please remember to:
- Remove the cap
- Remove the booklet
- Triple rinsed or pressure rinsed the container
Any cardboard packaging or paper booklets that are not contaminated with any chemical can be recycled. If there is any contamination please dispose of at the Didsbury Landfill.
To review Beneficial Management Practices for Alberta Farmsteads - Farmstead Waste Management, please click here.
Visit CleanFARMS® for details on their Empty Pesticide Container Collection Program.
For more information on Mountain View County's Agriculture Recycling Programs contact Sustainable Agricultural Specialist, Lorelee Grattidge at (403) 335-3311 ext. 163 or email@example.com.